Using a Spacer Device with a Mask
- Remove the cap and shake the MDI.
- Insert the mouthpiece of the MDI into the opening at the end of the spacer (eg. Aerochamber™).
- Apply the mask to face so there are no leaks between face and mask. The valve should open with breathing.
- Depress the canister to allow medication to enter the spacer. Hold on face for 5 breaths, so that the medication can be inhaled OR encourage a slow deep breath if able (A breath hold is not usually possible for young children).
Care of a Spacer:
- Clean the spacer about once a week. Immerse the spacer in warm water and agitate.
- Shake off excess water and leave to dry overnight.
- REMOVE the cap.
- SHAKE the MDI.
- ASSEMBLE the MDI in the chamber.
- APPLY the mask to the face.
- PUSH puffer down once.
- INHALE: Hold on face for 5 good breaths OR hold breath for 10 seconds.
- For second puff, wait 30 seconds and repeat steps 2 to 7.